the day to day of a professional actor in the San Francisco Bay Area

mostly the day to day of a professional actor in the San Francisco Bay Area, but also the home of the Counting Actors Project

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Screeech!

Being an actor means there are ebbs and flows, right?  A few weeks ago, I had so many projects on my plate!  But, at this point, things are suddenly super slow.  No auditions on the calendar.  One teaching job and my teaching program admin day job. Some maybes down the line, but that's all that's concrete.

Slow is tough.  Slow means the inner critic is harder to ignore.  Slow means less income, more self-doubt, and generally is just plain sucky.  I really hate slow and how it makes me feel, but I'm working on learning to love slow.

Because, slow also means: you can travel!  you can see your friends (both onstage and off)! you can take the time to go to classes or yoga or exercise!  You can work on making your professional stuff (resume, website, etc.) better!  You can rattle cages and let people know you're available for their project!

And soon, soon, it won't be slow any more.

Several years ago, my partner and I watched a Judi Dench interview on '60 Minutes'  and she told Ed Bradley that every time a job ended she felt like she'd never work again.  Judi Dench.  Dame Judi Dench.  Oscar winner Judi Dench.  She has a hard time w/slow too.  So I'm in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment